Sunday, November 29, 2009

My Angel

Wow. What an insane few days. I was looking forward to my 4 day break from work and hoped to take at least one day to just sit and do nothing. Being me I didn't end up doing that but I had a very enjoyable weekend so I won't complain. Good friends, family and fun. I can handle that.

Poetry first really caught my attention when I discovered free form poetry. I am a strong willed person and I didn't enjoy all of the rules involved in other types of poetry. Why should I be forced to limit myself per syllable or rhyme? I later discovered that there was a certain challenge that came from trying to follow those rules that I grew to respect. I have always been a fan of Edgar Allan Poe's works and one thing that he did in several of his poems was patterns of letters, whether it be repeating certain letters or spelling things (see, Elizabeth and An Enigma for reference). Poe most commonly used names as his source of inspiration. I have written a few and it is a challenge to find the right words that not only have the right letter in the right place but which also make sense in the end.

In several of the poems I have written I have limited myself to starting each two lines with the same first letter. In this particular item I chose to do three lines at a time. I really like the way it turned out.

My Angel

Who are you
What are you
What causes my heart to race
To race when I see you
To touch you is magic
The world starts to spin
It spins faster when we are together
It's out of control when we touch
I don't understand
No I don't understand
No one can make my world so bright
Nothing can make me feel like that
Like I am in heaven
Loved by an angel
Longing for nothing but you
For you to touch me
For your dreamy eyes to meet mine
For your tender lips to touch mine
Lips like a rose
Like the tender petals of a flower
Love is there
It's in your eyes
It's in your heart
It's in my heart
My heart is full of love
My world is full of you
Magical that's what you are
Like a twinkling star
Lighting up the darkness
Lifting my spirits to new heights
Above the clouds
Alone with my guardian angel
Alone with you

0 comments: